Hello all, per some requests to see what it is that I do, here are some pictures of our last field operation where we conducted ship to objective movements. We launch our AAVs off of a large Navy ship and drive ashore, then move inland to seize an objective, then retrograde back to the beach, launch off the beach and then go back aboard ship. The neatest part is that the ship is underway the entire time, so for getting back on the timing is crucial. When we launch off the ship it is moving and we just floor it and drive right out the back, splash into the water and motor on.
Our ship, an LSD, the U.S.S. Pearl Harbor
An AAV in the water coming aboard the flooded ship taken from inside the well deck
Our ship, an LSD, the U.S.S. Pearl Harbor
An AAV in the water coming aboard the flooded ship taken from inside the well deck
The well deck, not flooded (unballasted) with all vehicles ready to launch
Driving up to the ship, we get a green flag from the Navy up in the top left corner that lets us know it is ok to board
This is my friend Brian in our fine berthing area. I sort of fit, but we only slept for like 4 hours on ship anyway. The beds are stacked three high

4 comments:
Charlie, cool pics. Did you know I was on the Pearl Harbor for over a month during the summer of 2000? What a coincidence! See ya'll soon!
cool pics! Thanks for sharing!
I'm glad you posted these pictures I feel like I have a better idea of what you do now. Shelby had no idea she had such a cool uncle.
kim
We're proud of you:)
Emily and Marty
Post a Comment