Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Happy Birthday, Callie!

Our little girl is 1 year old today!  It is really unreal to me that it is already here.  This year has been the longest, shortest year of my life..if that makes sense.  I'm sure to other mothers it does!  Callie is the biggest blessing both Charlie and I have ever received, and she is a true gift from God!  We have loved watching her personality develop and seeing her grow through all the different stages of her first year.  This month particularly Callie has learned many new things.  It's just amazing watching her learned something new practically every day!




At 1 year, Callie:
-absolutely loves reading her books.  She points at the different characters and turns the pages herself.  If she picks up a book and it's upside down, she will turn it right side up almost immediately.
-waves "hi" and "byebye!"  Of course, it's the precious backwards hand wave.
-is saying several sounds and a couple words, although they are only discernable to people that are around her a lot.  She barks (bowowow with very tight lips) and moos.  She says yum ("mumm"), yuck (sounds like "mndut."  It's more the inflection that is similar to how I say, "yuck."), byebye ("dyedye"), dada and mom (although I'm not totallys sure she is referring to me all the time).  She says some other things that may or may not be words so we'll leave it at that.
-is understanding so much more of what we say.  I can tell her to go get her "baby" and she'll crawl over and get her off the floor.  Some things that I know she understands are shoes, outside, walk, stroller ride, brushing teeth, books, nap, eat, water, diaper,...
-will give kisses when you ask, although lately she has been dipping her head down when you ask.  She's stingy with her kisses, but other times she will want to give you a kiss without you asking.
-knows and does the signs for "all done," "more," and "fan."
-likes watching "Super Why" and will look at the tv if I mention it.
-will point to the features on your face when asked...sometimes.
-loves to play peek-a-boo.  She will also engage you in a game when she is sitting in a doorway or behind a toy.  She will hide then pop out quickly and wait for you to say, "Peek-a-boo!"
-is eating really well!  Sometimes she eats almost as much as I do at a meal.  If she keeps it up, we're going to have to start ordering her her own meal when we eat out because she eats too much of mine!
-is 18.5 lbs., which surprised me because that is only a pound from her 9 month checkup.  Not good, as far getting to turn around in her carseat, but I guess she has her daddy's build and metabolism.  Let's hope, for her sake, that she keeps that throughout her life!
-loves to walk around holding your hands.  she will crawl up to you and reach for your hands.  She also knows which hand goes in yours, and if she gets it wrong will quickly correct it and get a move on.
-is also sleeping really well.  Last night she slept from 6:20pm to 8am.  It has been awesome!
-is officially weaned.  My goal was to nurse for a year, and we did it!  Well, a couple days shy because she did so well with it.  I was nervous to let go of the bedtime and morning feedings, but she transitioned like a champ!  It made it a lot easier on me!
-On April 19th, Callie had her one year dr. appointment.  Everything went well.  She was 30.75 inches (90th percentile) and 19lbs 8oz (20th percentile).  Her doctor was happy with her, which I was glad about because I was nervous she was going to think Callie was too skinny, but I told her she eats a ton!  She had 3 shots, 1 in her arm and 2 in her leg.  The first 2 shots she didn't even flinch, but the last shot, apparently a painful one from what the nurse said, she cried for about 20 seconds.  Bless her little heart!  It didn't seem to bother her the rest of the day or night, though.

Callie has been such a joy this year and has brought Charlie and I so much happiness!  She is such a happy, fun, silly little girl, and I can't wait to see what her second year brings!

1 comments:

Tiffany said...

Happy birthday, Callie! So many big milestones.... awesome! Congratulations on weaning her successfully, too!