 |
| Just minutes old! I'm in love! |
Macie Jane Stocker made her arrival on December 29th at 5:28 pm.
She weighed 9 lbs. 1 oz. and measured 21 3/8 in.
On Tuesday, the 28th, I had an appointment with my midwife, Nivia at 2 pm. When she checked me, I was only 1 cm and about 80% effaced. Because I was 40 weeks and 1 day and Charlie had made it here, she swept my cervix to get things moving along (Sorry if this is TMI.) It definitely worked because I was already cramping by the time we got back to the car. I had already been having a lot of Braxton Hicks contractions for weeks, but this was feeling different. Charlie and I had planned to go on our last date before Macie's birth to PF Changs in McAllen that night so we stuck to the plan. Before we left, we made sure our hospital bags were packed and ready to go. I was pretty sure something was happening, but contractions were still irregular and not painful so we were able to enjoy a really nice dinner and good conversation on the way there and back. We got home around 9:30 and went to bed around 10 or 10:30. By midnight, I was having contractions that were strong enough that I couldn't sleep through. They were very irregular so I didn't want to wake anyone yet. At 1:40, I called Nicole to see what she thought about what was going on. At this point, the contractions were ranging between 2 and 10 minutes so it was confusing me. With Callie, my contractions went by the book, starting at about 15-20 minutes apart, then 10 minutes, then 5-7, then 2-3 so I wasn't sure what was going on with them, still being so sporadic. At 6, I woke Charlie and my mom up, not knowing how long it would be before we needed to go to the hospital. I showered, finished packing, ate breakfast, and tried to stay distracted from the contractions. I decided I wanted to do most of my laboring at home to avoid being cooped up in the hospital so I alternated between walking and resting on the couch. Charlie was a wonderful support, massaging me, walking with me, letting me squeeze the life out of his hand, and encouraging me. I couldn't have done it without my parents either. My mom made sure the house was ready for Macie to come home and took over for Charlie when he needed a little break. My dad took Callie to Grandma and Grandpa Johnsons' so she wouldn't have to see her Mommy in pain. I also prefered it to be quiet during contractions so it worked out well that Callie wasn't there. :) At about 11, we had a sandwich for lunch. I was definitely having to breathe through contractions at this point, but I was still able to eat. (It takes a lot for me not to want to eat!) My contractions continued to range from 2 to 10 minutes apart, but the intensity increased.
Between 1 and 1:30, I decided I was ready to go to the hospital. We arrived at Harlingen Medical at 2pm. Even though I had pre-registered, we sat in the waiting room for an hour and fifteen minutes. It was a looong hour and fifteen minutes. When I was finally called back, I had to go by myself for the initial exam before I was admitted. I was really hoping and thinking that I was pretty dilated, but I was anxious to find out what point I was really at. Nivia came in to check me around 3:30, and I was 100% effaced and 6 to 7 cm.
After the exam, they allowed Charlie and my mom to come to my room. Kristi arrived shortly after that. I had not really talked a whole lot about the fact that I wanted to deliver Macie naturally if everything was going smoothly so it was pretty funny when Kristi said she was ready for the "after epidural" party, only to find out that there wouldn't be one. Once she was over the shock, she jumped right in and was a great support, as well. Nicole arrived around 4 or 4:30 and was amazing. She is definitely in the right field as a doula, and I'm just lucky enough to have her as a best friend. My mom was a wonderful support, as always, through the entire day. She rubbed my back, got me ice, and did all the comforting things she does. I must have been the most attended to mother in the hospital that day!


Things were moving very quickly, and I continued to move around the room, using the birthing ball, leaning on Charlie, and leaning over the bed. At 5:08 while leaning on the bed and Nicole helping me sway my hips, my water broke. I said, "Oh gosh! My water just broke!", then the constant, 10 on the scale pain began. After a couple contractions still leaning on the bed, I felt like I needed to push so with much support from Nicole and Charlie, we made the 3 to 4 step trek, that seemed like a mile, to the bed. At 5:23, I began to push, and Macie Jane was born at 5:28p.m. It was an amazing experience, and one I'll never forget!
 |
| I couldn't believe how quickly she came! |
 |
We were so relieved and grateful Charlie made it here for the birth.
It would have been a lot more emotional and harder without him. |
 |
| Our Big Girl |
 |
| Grandma took care of her while she was getting cleaned up and getting her footprints. |
 |
| Grandma is already in love! |
 |
| Charlie got a bad cold right before he got to Harlingen so he got to wear this cool mask to protect Macie. :) |
 |
Nicole was so helpful while coaching me to push.
It was special to have her there with me! |
 |
| My Midwife and My Doula |
 |
| She was so alert and just taking in her new surroundings. |
 |
| Macie makes 9! |
 |
| I'm so glad Kristi made it in time for the birth and got to experience her first birth other than her own. She literally drove straight to the hospital from The Woodlands and got there right before Charlie and my mom came to my room. |
 |
| My wonderful support, minus Charlie |
 |
| Katie came to visit us in the hospital, along with Aunt Tami, Aunt Ann, Aunt Sherry, Grandpa, and Kristi. We just forgot to take everyone's picture. :( |
 |
| Going Home |
9 comments:
So precious. I love reading your story even though you had already told me. Can't wait til y'all move so I can snuggle your precious girls. Congrats again to you and Charlie. Y'all have such a sweet family.
Great pictures and story! I'm misty-eyed after reading it and seeing the pictures (again). We can't wait to meet Macie!!
Thanks for sharing your story. I'm glad you had so much support. I hope you're settling into your growing family very nicely. I'm sure you are! :)
This is such a great post, and being the hormonal prego that I am, I cried reading it all! I love how you have all the labor pics too....you ALMOST make me want to try a natural birth...key word...almost. Not sure how you did it, but you are awesome that you did! Congrats and can't wait to meet her! I'll call you to catch up soon!
Kelsey, I loved getting to read about your natural birth. You are amazing and Macie is beautiful, just like her mommy and big sister.
::::TEARS:::: HAPPY TEARS:::::
I finally got to cry those happy tears in the comfort of my own home reading this, since i didnt want to be a big baby after the delivery & was focusing on taking care of you!
xoxoxox! that was a fun, beautiful, bonding birth! thank you sticker family for giving me the honor to be there. luv u all
Oh Kelsey this made me cry! Thank you so much for sharing your birth story. I have been DYING to know, but didn't want to bug you!I am so happy for you guys. Sounds like you had a great labor experience:)
Awesome!! Congrats to all four of you! Macie is beautiful!
Congrats to you and Charlie! That was an amazing birth story, almost makes me want to have children right now! Which is weird, because it sounded very painful, so that should make me not want kids, lol. I might have to talk to you someday in the future about how you did it, because I would really like to have a natural birth, but I know that's easy to say, haha. Anyway, enjoy your beautiful family and having your hubby home! :)
Post a Comment